Uncoupled power transfer technology is a family of wire-free technology that provides power to battery powered devices at a distance, ranging from a few centimeters to a few meters. Uncoupled power transfer technology provides power along with complete spatial freedom allowing end consumer to experience a true untethered experience.
There are multiple technologies enabling wire-free power transfer experience namely:
- Near-Field RF and Far-Field RF, which are based on the principals of RF power transfer and reception using antennas
- Ultrasonic transduction, which delivers power at a distance using ultrasonic sound waves
- Laser power beaming, which delivers power at a distance using laser light
These technologies provide increased range with complete spatial freedom enabling a seamless power transfer experience for the end user.
Within AirFuel Alliance, various applications of this technology are addressed within the Uncoupled Working Committee.
- Frequency Band:
– 5.75-5.85GHz as primary band
– Additional bands in the range of Sub GHz to 6GHz are under consideration
- Rx Power Levels:
– Multi power class support from 1W and up to 5W for initial spec in 2016
– Increase to 15W on next release (2017)
- Operating Range:
– Charging zone with radius ranging from an inch and up to 15 feet
- Use Cases:
– Charging of multiple devices through a defined charging zone using a single UTx
– Optional coordinated UTx mode to create an extended charging zone